Interview with the Third Former Buddy Club President

[Image Description: Group selfie of 2 people on the left and 3 people on the left; Left side: Girl with curly brown hair wearing a violet velvet headband (me) and a blonde female sitting next to me; Right side: Female wearing a light blue headband, Gerry who a blonde female with Down Syndrome wearing glasses sitting across from the blonde girl next to me, and Jess is sitting on the right side of Gerry wearing color tinted glasses with brown hair]



Originally posted June 27, 2020 on Facebook Notes on my Facebook page (with some information added to the introduction due to updates in Jess' career and education)



Recently Jess (she/her/hers), the third Buddy Club President from the same high school that I went to, messaged me with a collaboration idea that I have decided to take up upon! I will be interviewing select active buddies of the Lower Moreland Buddy Club about their overall experience with helping and being a friend to the Life Skills students in the school district. Since Jess is the current Buddy Club President, I wanted her to be the first buddy that I did this project with. The update about Jess' life is that she just graduated from Lower Moreland High School this week and she is committed to attending Scranton University for her Bachelor's Degree of Science in PreK-12 Special Education in the fall! I hope you enjoy reading about Jessica as much as I did! 😊


1. What made you want to join Buddy Club and how did you first get involved in the club?

I joined Buddy Club because I saw how the students were being treated by other students and I wanted to be able to help them and show how they should be treated by everyone.


2. What made you want to run as Buddy Club President?

Mrs. McCaffrey asked me at the end of my sophomore year and I said "yes" right away! When she offered me the position, she mentioned that she likes how I interact with the students.


3. What are you interested in doing after high school?

After high school, I plan on going to college to study Special Education to become a Special Education teacher. I have always known that I wanted to be a teacher, but being a member of Buddy Club is definitely what made me want to become a Special Education teacher. Something about being an advocate is so special.

 

4. How many years have you been involved in Buddy Club?

I have been a part of Buddy Club since elementary school. I have been a member for ten years!

 

5. What do you like the most about Buddy Club?

I like being able to show them how they should be treated and helping them. After seeing them get a skill that they have been struggling with is so rewarding! It is also definitely rewarding seeing the students grow from elementary school to high school!

 

6. What has been your favorite memory with Buddy Club?

I really like Lip Sync! I love seeing the whole special needs community come together for one awesome night!

 

7. What is your favorite thing to do with the Life Skills students?

My favorite thing is hearing about their weekend during morning meeting or helping them with the work they are working on.

 

8. Why do you think people struggle to understand and/or engage with the disability community?

It seems like people do not realize that they have the same potential as everyone else. Even though it might take them longer to do something, does not make them less than a person.

 

9. It is obvious that you and the Life Skills students have a very close friendship. What is one of your favorite memories together?

My favorite memory of Buddy Club is definitely bonding with each of the students and seeing each of them grow from elementary school to high school.

 

10. Thank you so much for being a part of Buddy Club. What have been the three most valuable things you have learned through your experience working with the disability community so far?

Honestly, it is hard to pick three specific things! Being an advocate for the special needs community is rewarding every time!


Thank you so much for being the person that you are, for the collaboration idea, and agreeing to this opportunity, Jess!

 

Learn more about Lower Moreland Buddy Club:

If you do not already, please like the Lower Moreland Buddy Club on Facebook and follow on Instagram to show your support:

Facebook page: Lower Moreland Buddy Club

Instagram: @lmhs_buddyclub




Did you enjoy and find this post helpful? If you want to see more content like this and my other content about teaching and advocating for the disability community, please follow me on Instagram and like my Facebook page if you have not already by clicking on the hyperlinks below:




Give feedback! Questions? Compliments? Suggestions? Let me know in the comments section below and/or email me at ehoffbuddyclub@gmail.com !

If you repost to your own page or story, please tag me in the caption and the post and keep my logo visible. Thank you💕

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Disability Pride Means to Self-Advocates

Infant/Toddler Teachers Need to be Valued More As Teachers

My Reflective, Constructive Feedback About Disability Representation in the Media